Friday 7 January 2011

Eastenders Cot Death Storyline

I've been tweeting about this, so thought I would just add my thoughts to the mix! I totally understand that the soaps like to run 'real' storylines and undoubtedly Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is an important issue that most certainly should be addressed. My argument with Eastenders is not the actual decison to run a SIDS storyline, but to run it so sensationally. The baby swap plot was simply a step too far, and if anything detracts from the tragedy of infant death. The decision to cut this farcical storyline short is welcome relief and I hope will act as some comfort to the families that have the tragic misfortune to have dealt with infant death.

Although a 'teen' show, this issue was dealt with much more sensitively in Hollyoaks a few years ago, and if anything highlights how far Eastenders have gone wrong with this storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment